Vending Machine or Shark: Which Is Most Likely to Kill You?

le bouil baptiste/Shutterstock.com

Ahh, the age-old question. In one corner, we have the mechanical monstrosity that is the vending machine, bearer of diabetes and bringer of all things sweet. In the other corner, we have the majestic beast of the blue water, the shark, unchanged for millions of years.So who has slain more lives between these two unlikely rivals?

Despite a ubiquitous fear of this marine mammoth, it turns out that vending machines have killed more people in America compared to sharks. In fact, you’re four times likely to die from a vending machine gone rogue than from a shark attack! These accidents are real, and they can happen to anyone.

Nevertheless, this doesn’t mean that you’re off the hook if you come across a great white. You are 10 times more likely to meet the grim reaper from a shark attack than you are from a vending-machine accident. So, let’s male this clear; this is NOT a green pass to go swim in shark-infested waters!

The StatisticsVending Machines

To understand just how deadly vending machines are compared to sharks, we have to check out the stats on these machines taken by the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System.

According to the yearly reports, there have been roughly four deaths every year out of the 1730 annual injuries suffered under the hands of vending machines in the United States.

Most of the injuries occurred mostly on the head, claiming 20 percent of all the injuries, with the hand claiming 13 percent, upper trunk coming in third with 12.5 percent, face (8.5), and the whole body 7 percent; especially when the vending machine was tipped over.

The only positive news from these injuries was that a meager 11 percent of all the injuries were severe enough to warrant hospitalization. A large number of the injured were treated on the spot and did not require any further medical treatment.

Most Famous Vending Machine Death

In 1998, a 19-year old by the name Kevin from Quebec Canada died from asphyxiation when a 900-pound Coca-Cola vending machine tipped over and crushed him. According to reports, the college student had attempted to shake it and was slightly intoxicated above the recommended driving limit.

In response to the death, Coca-Cola launched an awareness by placing stickers on its vending machines that warned users not to shake or tip the machines in Canada.

Kevin’s death was so famous that it won him a 2001 Darwin Awards nomination.

Moral of the story: you should probably steer clear from vending machines for health and physical purposes!